Laying Ghosts to Rest: Dilemmas of the Transformation in South Africa | Current Affairs & Issues
A penetrating look at the South African transition and what is wrong with it. In her characteristic forthright style, Mamphela Ramphele’s new book offers both indictment and inspiration. She touches upon:
- the distrust between South Africa’s people, incomplete reconciliation and violent crime
- the failure of schools and the government’s skills programmes to skill South Africans
- globalisation and how SA is failing to fill its place in Africa and the world
- the costs of BEE and ‘transformation’ in the private sector and in government
- problems of leadership in South Africa.
Despite her spirited criticism of mistakes made and wrong turns taken, Dr Ramphele remains upbeat about what can be achieved. Her psychological insights are completely fresh. With great empathy she help us understand why we act the way we do.
At the same time she urges South Africans to overcome our immaturies and aim for excellence. Her new book is a powerful call to action.